Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blog Blog Blob

I keep a public blog online where anyone can access it, and even have an indirect link to it on my Facebook, and yet I'm always surprised and occasionally confused when I find out someone does read it. I never know what to think. Weird.

So, something I found on Facebook today, an artist, Guillermo Vargas "Habacuc," in Costa Rica tied a stray dog up to the wall of an art gallery and let it starve to death. He wrote, "I knew the dog died on the following day from lack of food. During the inauguration, I knew that the dog was persecuted in the evening between the houses of aluminum and cardboard in a district of Managua. 5 children who helped to capture the dog received 10 bonds of córdobas for their assistance. The name of the dog was Natividad, and I let him die of hunger in the sight of everyone, as if the death of a poor dog was a shameless media show in which nobody does anything but to applaud or to watch disturbed. In the place that the dog was exposed remain a metal cable and a cord. The dog was extremely ill and did not want to eat, so in natural surroundings it would have died anyway; thus they are all poor stray dogs: sooner or later they die or are killed."


Most of the links from Facebook say that the dog died of starvation shortly after the show. Another article though says that the dog was fed when the gallery was closed and that he escaped. I don't really believe the latter, but I don't know what to think either way. I don't understand how this is "art" though.

No comments: